Main Bathroom Renovation - Before and After
Our 1911 house obviously did not have a bathroom connected to a bedroom, so we decided to do our main bathroom renovation and make a door to our bedroom.
When we started this project I had no idea how much time it was going to take. This has been one of the hardest/most strenuous projects I have done, besides the bus. I wish I could explain everything we did in here, but it would be so long and WAY too much information. For this blog post, I just want to show you guys some of what we did and show the before and afters.
Before the Renovation
First off, look at the glamor light above the medicine cabinet. Also the tile everywhere.
We wanted a double vanity so we had to tear this out. I wanted to try to salvage the countertop, however, it broke when I was trying to get it out.
There was so much going on here we had to demo everything.
There were many things to fix, but one obvious thing was the carpet right up against the tub.
There are many reasons to not have carpet in a bathroom, the biggest one being mold.
The ceilings are actually 2 feet higher than this tile ceiling they put up.
I am sure they did this for heating/cooling reasons, however, we don’t need to worry about that because of the upgrades we made to the home.
Also, behind that door is actually another closet door going farther back. They just added it to be even with the tub.
As you can see, they just decided to build this closet in from of the window.
At this point, I knew it was going to be a lot of work, but I had no idea of how much work it was really going to be.
During the Renovation
A Spencer must have lived here. Also, there must have been a cute old medicine cabinet here.
I love finding stuff like this, old houses are so unique and fun. It is a lot of work though.
After we pulled the vanity out there was a bunch of stuff down the hole. I was hoping to find money . . . but I did not. Here is what I found.
A comb, unused pads, toilet paper, diffuser, empty butter container, a brush, and a glove.
I took all the tiles down. I also freed the window a little bit.
This is when I started to become overwhelmed . . .
This whole wall is brick! It took me a while to expose it but look!
I built an archway that will lead into the shower.
It was finally ready for drywall.
Waterproofing the shower. It took a long time to get all the measurements rights. YouTube University was our go-to when working on this.
There was a lot of mini projects that went into this project. I skipped A LOT.
A lot of tiling and grouting went into this project.
After the Renovation
I don’t feel like I am in my house! This is really the most work I have done on a renovation, but also it has turned out to be the best work I have done. At the beginning of this, I did not know it would be this spacious and turn out this nice. The brick wall was such a wonderful find.
I found these mirrors at Hobby Lobby and painted them gold. Hobby Lobby has a variety of options for mirrors. I got these lights from Amazon. I got the Turkish beach towels from Amazon as well.
I hope you guys know this was a lot of work and a lot of time, and quite a bit more money than I thought it would be, however, if you want to do it I know you can do!